Here is a short and simple guide for installing Squid on Windows for those who knows how it works in Linux.
- Windows port for Squid is available from Acme Consulting. Grab it from http://squid.acmeconsulting.it/
- Unzip it and put it in C drive making the folder structure c:\squid
- You'll find squid.conf file in C:\squid\etc\squid.conf
- Configure it as per your requirements. (mainly the following)
- Your hostname
- Dns server
- Cache directory
(make sure that the options you choose are available with the squid you chose by running squid -v)
- Create the cache directory by:
- Open Command Prompt
- Go to C:\squid\sbin
- Run squid.exe -D -z
- Install the squid service by running squid.exe -i
- You can manage squid service from services.msc or using the squid.exe CLI. Unlike Linux you may need to pass "-n Squid" as parameters for few commands.
- Set scheduled task to rotate your log.
- You may need to use third party software to transparently use this Squid. Until then configure the browsers to use this Squid.